No matter whether you are a fisherman or not, in any survival situation in 2023, there is an opportunity that you will need to tie a knot. For instance, you may need to tie a hook for insurance while climbing, to set a tent, so it will not be blown with a first wind, to bandage a broken limb, and so on. Therefore, it is necessary to know several tangles and the basics of knot tying.
It is said that nowadays, there exist more than 12,000 different knots, but there are about 15 of the most important, frequently used, and popular knots. However, knowing how to make at least three of them is already a lifebuoy in an emergency or survival situation.
In this article, you will know how to tie a fisherman’s knot (also called an English knot or Improved Clinch Knot), where to use it, and some essential tips on knot tying.
Basics of Any Knot
Any knot can be done with at least one rope, so you can tie together from two to however you want lines by several knots. So, to practice, you will need only two strong and thin ropes. Also, be sure you take them with you on hiking trips.
To make a knot, you will need to know these knot components:
- Tag end – the end of the line which makes the loop and the tying.
- Standing line – the whole rope that is running through and towards a reel.
- Turn or a wrap – a turn occurs at the moment of loop creation when you pass the tag end completely around a standing line.
To master superior performance in making loops and knots, it is necessary to practice daily or at least several times a week. This ability will help you on extreme occasions, so you will be able to create tied nets, make insurances while hiking, or simply make a hook for fishing. Be sure that once you know how to make basic knots, it will take no effort to learn new ones, even though starting with your first knot may be tough.
Fisherman’s knot is needed whenever you need to tie two ropes together. Thus, for example, you can use it not only for fishing but also for scouting, net making, tying webbing, rock climbing, and even supporting already-made knots.
The fisherman’s knot consists of two lines (thus, two ends of two ropes) tied together with two overhand knots. It is used as a very convenient way to hook together two ends of a broken fishing line.
How to Tie Fisherman’s Knot
Here is a list of steps to do it:
- Make two tag ends overlay each other in opposite directions (looking at each other)
- Take the tag end of the upper rope and bend it backline and around the standing line of the lower rope
- Cross the working end (upper rope) over the standing end (lower rope)
- Wrap the working standing end again around the standing line and itself
- Pass the working tag end into the bottom loop of the knot
- Pull the working tag end into the backside of the loop (the working tag end must be parallel with the standing line after you pass it)
- Tighten the knot with steady pressure and repeat all the previous steps for another side of the rope
- Tighten the two knots by pulling two lines in opposite directions, so no free loops are left
- Make sure you pull both sides and the knot is secure; you can also make slippery lines with wet hands to ensure the security
How to Tie a Hook to a Fishing Line
Especially for fisherpersons:
- Pull the tag end 8-10 inches through a hook eye
- Wrap the tag end over a working line about 5 turns and do not tense it
- Now pull the tag end into the closest loop to the hook eye to create one more loop
- Pass the tag end through the last created loop
- Wet the loop to make it more workable and tightening
- Bring the tag end and standing end in one hand and the end of the hook in another hand
- Tense the knot by pulling the line and the hook to opposite sides
There also exist some variations of Fisherman’s knot that are considered to be stronger. These are made with double or even triple stopper knots (for Double and Triple Fisherman’s Knot, respectively). Even though an Improved Clinch Knot is usually enough for avoiding a line’s break, increasing the strength of the knot is, anyways, a good idea!
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ
What is a Fisherman’s Knot Good For?
Fisherman’s knot is a perfect knot for connecting the ends of ropes together. For example, if you have your fishing line broken, just use it to tie the ends together. Moreover, you can tie a hook to the line, make a net, and even create insurance for camping!
What is the Strongest Fishing Knot?
You can be sure that the Fisherman’s knot will provide you great security so you should not be afraid to use it in highly responsible cases. However, there exist some variations of this very knot that are called Double and Triple Fisherman’s knots that simply have more loops tightened.
How to Tie Two Strings Together?
The essential knot that can tie two ropes or strings together is exactly an Improved Clinch knot that has two overhand knots tied there which makes it a reliably strong knot.
How to Tie a Double Fisherman’s Knot?
Start as you want to make a simple Fisherman’s knot, then pull the working end twice around the standing line. Tighten it, then pull another end again two times around the second standing line. Continue as with a simple knot.